Following DCL’s successful completion of the commercial management of Kings Cross Station redevelopment the project has been yet again successful in securing another award. The Building Awards 2013 prize for Public Building of the year. DCL attended the awards ceremony where the price was collected by the project Architect Hiro Aso of John McAslan & Partners.
The redevelopment of the Grade I listed King's Cross Station is almost complete, with the demolition of the old concourse and construction of the new Southern Square under way. Major remodelling of the station has delivered improved passenger facilities, rationalised operational activities and significantly increased retail opportunities at the station.
This enormously complex £547m redevelopment project required a series of layered interventions involving three very different areas of architectural specialism: re-use, restoration and new build. The train-shed and range buildings have been adapted and re-used, the station’s previously obscured Grade I listed façade is being precisely restored, and a new, highly expressive and visually striking Western Concourse has been designed as the centrepiece and the 'beating heart' of the project.
The ambitious transformation of the station creates a remarkable dialogue between Cubitt’s 1852 station and 21st-century architecture - a quantum shift in strategic infrastructure design in the UK. The station was officially opened by Boris Johnson, Mayor of London, on 19 March 2012. The multi-award winning station now provides a modern transport super-hub fit for a major capital city.
Other awards won by the redevelopment programme include;-
• Winner, MIPIM Awards 2013, Special Jury Award, King's Cross Station
• Winner, MIPIM Awards 2013, Best Refurbished Building, King's Cross Station
• Winner, London Transport Awards 2013, Rail Station of the Year, King's Cross Station
• Winner, London Planning Awards 2012/13, Best Built Project
• Winner, National Rail Awards 2012, Project of the Year, King's Cross Station
• Winner, Elle Decoration Awards 2012, King's Cross Station
• Winner, Institute of Structural Engineers Awards 2012, Infrastructure or Transportation Structures, King's Cross Station
• Winner, British Construction Industry Award 2012, Conservation Award, King's Cross Station
• Winner, National Transport Award, Tom McCarthy Award, Infrastructure Project of the Year 2012, King's Cross Station
• Winner, New London Awards 2012, Transport, King's Cross Station
• Winner, AJ Retrofit Awards 2012, Transport Building, King's Cross Station
• Winner, Network Rail Partnership Awards 2012, Heritage and Best Large Project, King's Cross Station
• Winner, ICE London Civil Engineering Awards 2012, King's Cross Station
• Winner, Network Rail Partnership Awards 2010, Heritage, King's Cross Eastern Range